offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Changing frequency and unlocking KRZR K1

Hello. I have a KRZR K1 phone that was locked to Fido, I flashed it with a file I got here and now it's locked to Rogers.
    I'd like to have it work with Virgin (which uses Bell's network in Canada). It's quad-band so presumably capable of going to the different frequencies of Bell's network.
    Is there any way to do this?

It's Software Version: R47121_G_08.01.11R

Thanks.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Virgin/Bell mobility originally used CDMA. If their free sims are micro, you'll need an adapter. Since you have flashed the original f/w, I doubt the unlock code will work - you'll have to use the testpoint method to unlock it.
    Last edited by Saurus; 03-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Hic sunt dracones...

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the response. The Virgin SIM card is the regular one, the same size as the KRZR uses. I'll read up on the test point method and see what I can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Virgin/Bell mobility originally used CDMA. If their free sims are micro, you'll need an adapter. Since you have flashed the original f/w, I doubt the unlock code will work - you'll have to use the testpoint method to unlock it.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The testpoint is pretty messy - you have to cut through a shield and the TP is really tiny. And the K1 is not that easy to disassemble, as I recall. If you can restore the original firmware from backup, it would be best to buy an unlock code if you can. Just make sure the vendor guarantees it. There used to be other unlock methods that used a dongle of some kind, but I haven't seen any lately.

@Clarkey posted this a LONG time ago (he's very old now) - Unlock K1/Z3 without TP. The links may all be dead; Motox is gone, for sure.
    Hic sunt dracones...