I am probably going to get a ZN5 through T-Mo since I couldn't even come close to buying an unbranded model. I've been reading the threads here and at another site (MotoModders?) and I have a basic idea of what needs to be done but I'd just like to spell out the process in plain english before I sign on the dotted line. Please correct me if I don't have it right, all that I'm really interested in is enabling the features that T-Mo disables with their proprietary software as noted by tnkgrl and Mark Stosberg, and possibly improving video recording and playback and getting it to play nice with iSync. Oh, and not to brick it lol.
1. Install a non T-Mo Sim card, get an unlock code from T-Mo, and follow their instructions to unlock it.
2. Install a non-RSA bootloader.
3. Flash with firmware of choice.
Does that pretty much cover the basics? I've played around with Moto4Lin but couldn't get any changes to stick on my unbranded RIZR Z3 although I did manage to update the firmware using a PC. I've also owned a V188 and V195 so I'm not an expert at this but I can kludge my way around a little bit.
1. Yes you can unlock it. T-Mobile might or might not give you the unlock code and might charge you for it. If not, you can always buy it online (just how I did). Whichever the case, make sure that it's a 16-digit unlock code and not 8-digits otherwise it will not work .
My ZN5 was also bought from T-Mobile and I bought the unlock code from a third party .
2. As easy as a pie . Since it's a T-Mobile phone it will be either 06.2B or 06.2DP. Those two boot-loader are interchangeable so you can alternate between them and flash a NoRSA version of them.
3. Yes. You just have to make sure the firmware is compatible with 06.2B or 06.2DP. If it's on 06.2A firmware you'll have to port/patch it first. Again 06.2B and 06.2DP firmware are interchangeable but 06.2A ones are not .
Thanks ferrarix, that's exactly what I need to know. I don't think I'll mess with with a 06.2A firmware unless there's a really compelling reason to do so like iSync compatibility (doubtful) or improved video quality (hopeful). I'm curious, do any of the firmware versions, be they A, B, or DP give better video quality or is that something that should be left alone?
I went to the downtown T-Mo store yesterday just to see the Zine in person and get a feel for it but they had sent all their ZN5s back to T-Mo and they told me all of the T-Mo stores had to return their ZN5s to T-Mo as well but that the independent stores may still have them and that they should also still be available online. I don't know what exactly that means, but I'm hoping with the proliferation of smart phones and touch screens that maybe they'll drop the price. Poverty sucks!
Last edited by Penguirl; 08-15-2009 at 03:20 PM.
T-Mo is no longer showing the ZN5 as an upgrade, but they do still list it for new customers. I called them to see if I could get it and not only did they work that out for me but it came out to be just $50 plus tax, no shipping or activation and I still have my $50 Unlimited Loyalty plan too so I'm pretty happy. I'll be even happier when it arrives and I can 86 the T-Mo firmware
I thought about waiting to see what the Moto Morrison for T-Mo is going to cost but I just can't stand this hell-spawn V195 anymore.
According to T-Mo, I got the very last one. It was only available as a new phone, not an upgrade, so I had to do some juggling and sweet talking to get it but it was worth it. It makes me wonder how I ever got by with my V 195.
For flashing the fw should I use Mac P2k, Moto4Lin, or ShxFlasher? I read that the V l95 can be flashed with V 197 fw, I tried flashing my V195 with ShxF but I couldn't get it to take. I even had to find the USB ID myself as ShxF couldn't. Trying to translate directions written for Windows apps to the Mac apps is challenging.
Now if I could only get an unlock code…
Last edited by Penguirl; 02-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Reason: 'cause I'm a space case