offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

New to Modding, looking for a begginers guide.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to phone modding and I really got interested in this subject while trying to repair a V3i phone. I have a background in electronics and it's what I do for a living but for the most part I don't mess around too much with software.

My problem is the microphone on this phone isn't working, I replaced the actual physical microphone using a resistor jumper for basing and an electret microphone but I got no results. Someone recommended to me flashing (restoring) the phone as this might be a glitch.

So as I said I'm new to this so I went looking for beginners guides and found this

Modding Motorola in Mac OSX. How to hack the Razr, Pebl, Slvr, and more on an Apple. - Home

I followed it all the way through except for the last part which is the actual flash. Reason being I did not find anywhere to get the .shx file mentioned. Through my searching after this I realized there's also a few more things I need to learn so I can select the proper flash file. I also ended up realizing there is now GUI software for mac so you don't have to be on terminal to do this. I tried downloading SHXflasher from the link in the sticky thread above this forum but the link is dead and I could not find it on google.

Could someone please guide me or show me a guide where I could learn what I need to flash my phone? At the moment I"m not planning on performing any modifications per se. I want to just start out by flashing the phone to a state where it's a fresh install of it's software.

I would very much appreciate this help. This looks very interesting and I'd love to learn it.

Thanks
    -CharlsCharlson

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good thing you didn't find that R374 file - it's for a V3, and it would have bricked your V3i. For a file to flash, check the Menu > Tools > Phone status > Other information > Software Version and Flex Version. Then Google search to find one as close to it as you can.

I never knew Kyle (poetic_folly) did a guide for Mac users - it's fairly identical to the one for PC's. It's probably the best beginner's guide there is for P2K phones, with a couple of caveats - it's a very old guide, written when most moto phones were triplets-series and the V3 series flip phone was brand new. Since then the V3 series includes the V3r, V3re, V3i, V3x, V3xx, and probably a few others. The thing to remember is they are different phones even though they are similar, if not identica,l in appearance. The point is, just make sure your flash file is compatible with V3i, and won't lock your phone to a carrier you never heard of. I think you may be at a disadvantage trying to use a Mac, since all the utilities and tools I've seen are for PC's - but then I've never looked for Mac stuff, since I don't own one.

As for the microphone, it's probably hardware rather than s/w. It would be easiest to replace the keypad rather than just the mic, even though it requires complete disassembly. (The V3i keypad is identical to that of the V3/V3r/V3re, except it is wired differently, and the two are not interchangeable.) As I recall, electret is a high-Z device; maybe the phone's mic is low-Z.

Hope this helps - good luck.
    Hic sunt dracones...

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey thanks! That's one good step forward with that information you provided. Yes I know the guide was a bit outdated and so is my phone, but you gotta start somewhere, I think it makes as a good guinea pig.

I can dual boot to windows on my mac, but I just got a new hard drive so I still have to find my copy of windows.

Why replace the keypad too? This mic is mounted on the circuit board and I think it's just routed directly into the corresponding IC, after some passive components. I also don't know what the impedance of the old mic is but I got the solution from a thread I found where it had worked for many people. Unfortunately it didn't for me.

Huge thanks for the help!

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, now, you made me look. That big round thing held down and jumpered to the mobo by the antenna housing is the annunciator (speakerphone loudspeaker). The tail end of the keyboard flex is held against the front openings by said-same antenna housing, so I have always assumed the microphone was the square component set diagonally and the other one was the a/d converter. I've never seen a microphone that looks like that, but there are a lot of things I've never seen. Dial '789' (you'll get an invalid number message), turn on the speakerphone and cover the front/back openings & see what you think.

You might want to try the software route first because the key flex is a pain to replace. Anybody with good sense would just buy another V3i on eBay for less than a new keyboard flex, probably. But nobody ever accused ME of having good sense!

There's a disassembly procedure someplace, but it doesn't tell the whole story. First you have to pull the metal keypad by straightening the tabs underneath. Peel back the edges of the battery label to get to most of them. Then pull the plugs out and remove the four torx T-4 screws holding the flip together. Tape the keys down to keep from losing them & make sure they're right-side-up because they fit only one way. Then disconnect the key flex from the flip and remove the hinge knuckles. One is kept by a screw, the other you push out from the inside - the key flex threads through that one. It's a lot easier to push out with the camera removed, but that's another chore, and several small parts that go back together only one way.

Pull the 4 T-5 screws and remove the lower housing base and ground wiper (the "plastic" housing is part of the RFI shield too). The flex is held to the lower housing with adhesive which will have to be cleaned off with alcohol or it will interfere with key presses. It really doesn't need adhesive at all, it's held in place by its tight fit against the keypad tabs. Note there are four slots in the lower housing you have to thread the ends of the new flex through. Three are obvious; the other one at the top is the Hall-effect switch that senses when the flip is open/closed. (Make sure you don't lose the magnet in the flip.)

Have fun getting all back together.
    Hic sunt dracones...