offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

A810 help needed

I purchased a "new" Motorola A810 phone about two weeks ago, and I am trying to find some information. I've spent hours on Google without luck.

The phone is already unlocked, and I really like it (plus it's the only unlocked phone I found in a store that I could afford). The thing is there are a lot of Chinese-language files on it (most of the audio/ring tones) and some of the installed apps are of no interest to me. I've been trying to find out how to get into the "Service Menu" (aka Engineering Menu) and how to get to the files I want to delete/change - and there may be some features that could be activated that I'd like. I really am not interested in putting a monster pack or anything like that in it, although it there is one for the USA that really opened up the phone's utility I might consider it.

The only thing I've found so far is *#128*0128# to get the firmware version (plus the ubiquitous *#06#). The usual tricks - #073887* and so on don't work. It's a bit of an odd duck (I also use Linux and since it's a Linux phone...) and I'm not sure how they have things blocked - so we can't access them.

I've also run into confusing information about the phone - three different stories. One is that it is a quad band phone. A second is that it is strickly a three band phone (it's three band right now - the Hong Kong version). The third story is that it is a quad band phone that has one of the American bands "locked out" in software, or that it can be programmed for any three bands. Maybe someone knows more than the yokels I've communicated with... Motorola has been worse than usual especially with parroting over and over again "we will not give you the subsidy lock for your phone, you have to go to your service provider", even when told in big and bold font that the phone is already unlocked.

I'm not going to get rid of the phone and can't afford to anyway, so please no snide comments about buying something new. I'm stuck with the phone (which like I said I like) and just need the information.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say the best place to start is here - https://motorola-mobility-en-hk.cust...p/30,5439,5440

It seems the only market it was sold was HK, so tri-band makes sense. If it were a P2K phone (not Linux) there are seems which can be modified to enable quadband. There may be the equivalent for Linux, idk. Tri band may or may not work for a given US carrier. Only way to find out is to try it.

If you don't get a "Enter Subsidy Unlock Code" message, your phone is definitely unlocked. As for removing unwanted apps, the simplest remedy is to ignore them. Otherwise you would have to have access to the root file structure, like android phones. I'm sure there are methods for this, but you'll probably need some programming skill.

Sorry I can't be more help, but yeah, that duck is odd.
    Hic sunt dracones...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    I'd say the best place to start is here - https://motorola-mobility-en-hk.cust...p/30,5439,5440

Sorry I can't be more help, but yeah, that duck is odd.
    Yeah. I've been all over the Motorola HK site and contacted them repeatedly, but all they'll say is that they won't give me the subsidy code. I can't seem to get them to read their emails (common problem with customer service people).

It was sold in HK, China, India, and by a reseller here in the US for about a year. I'm not sure, but it may be some odd combination of P2K and Linux. I can do some programming (know a bit of C, R, Basic, Fortran, and can read and comprehend but not write Python) but don't have the time to really dig into code (PhD student).

I THINK it would respond to P2KCommander 6 (the software seems to recognize the phone), but it won't stay connected long enough to be sure. It sits there and tries to reconnect over and over but the phone drops the (USB) connection.

The USB works fine for transferring files to and from the phone... it just won't allow more than that.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there anyone familiar with this phone on this blog? It looks like I'm going to have to flash it... I can't do anything that I wish, and since Motorola refuses to honor their warranty (unless I take it to a center in Hong Kong - like I can afford to fly across the ocean for a $120 phone, or ship it there - and even then they say they doubt they'd honor it because it's a HK phone sold in the US), I have little reason not to make significant changes to it.

I've downloaded the flashing files, but since they're intended for India and this is a phone intended for sale in Hong Kong, I'm concerned about unintended changes. I'd like to know what all was modified by the new flash and how going from a HK-structured phone to one programmed for India would make a difference.

I've also been reading the code for the phone, but it seems most of the stuff that might reveal the service menu is in sections that are binary - I don't do binary.