Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    what is taking up 284MB of my memory on my phone?

    ok so i just tried to install go launcher EX and got a low memory usage thing i then went in to check it i have 284 MB used and only 66mb free what? i have only got angry birds installed it is on my memory card Dolphin browser on memory card google + on memory card. just installed app cache cleaner moved it to memory card thinking it would help issue no go. so what is taking this space up these are only apps i have installed. I dont no what is using this but it makes it highly difficult to install another launcher on this. anyone no what could be using this? why would my phone have all this space used when i have not that many apps unless it is all the apps preloaded if so why would they install all this to use up all your space. i wish there was a whey to format this dang phone and put a new opp on it lol.

  2. #2
    Saurus's Avatar
    offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    daLLas
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 377 Times in 319 Posts
    Downloads
    77
    Uploads
    2
    Since this is General Android forum, you should mention you have Cliq 2 running 2.3.6 (which can't be rooted).

    Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Use the four tabs at the top to see what's using memory. My phone with no added apps shows Internal Storage = 31MB used, 319MB free. RAM = 210 used, 200 MB free. Internal Storage is for application software, RAM is for process execution. Even though you have offloaded your apps to SD, they probably still need to occupy internal memory while running. Could be this memory is not being freed when an app is closed, or perhaps you're not closing it completely, leaving it running idle in the background.
    Hic sunt dracones...

  3. #3
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Since this is General Android forum, you should mention you have Cliq 2 running 2.3.6 (which can't be rooted).

    Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Use the four tabs at the top to see what's using memory. My phone with no added apps shows Internal Storage = 31MB used, 319MB free. RAM = 210 used, 200 MB free. Internal Storage is for application software, RAM is for process execution. Even though you have offloaded your apps to SD, they probably still need to occupy internal memory while running. Could be this memory is not being freed when an app is closed, or perhaps you're not closing it completely, leaving it running idle in the background.
    Thanks a bunch i did forgot to mention that sorry my bad i will check this out and see it any are running in the background.

    just checked it not much running is strange maybe its all the preloaded stuff.
    Last edited by Tom&Jerry; 10-28-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    Saurus's Avatar
    offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    daLLas
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 377 Times in 319 Posts
    Downloads
    77
    Uploads
    2
    Forgot to mention my phone has an unregistered sim in it, so it can't connect to the network, only wifi. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it though.

    Your phone has the same preload as mine, so it should be the same. It looks to me like the update process includes some kind of backup and restore process, but I don't know how it works. If it backed up and restored data for apps that you haven't reloaded, that may account for some of the difference, but I'm really just guessing. You might try asking at Motorola's website help forum, but the two squirrels that work there are rather busy trying to support 50 different phone models.
    Hic sunt dracones...

  5. #5
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Forgot to mention my phone has an unregistered sim in it, so it can't connect to the network, only wifi. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it though.

    Your phone has the same preload as mine, so it should be the same. It looks to me like the update process includes some kind of backup and restore process, but I don't know how it works. If it backed up and restored data for apps that you haven't reloaded, that may account for some of the difference, but I'm really just guessing. You might try asking at Motorola's website help forum, but the two squirrels that work there are rather busy trying to support 50 different phone models.
    yeah i posted over there they just gave me app suggestions for clearing cache and stuff. how would i know if there is backups on the phone and how would i delete them?.

  6. #6
    Saurus's Avatar
    offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    daLLas
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 377 Times in 319 Posts
    Downloads
    77
    Uploads
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Jerry View Post
    yeah i posted over there they just gave me app suggestions for clearing cache and stuff. how would i know if there is backups on the phone and how would i delete them?.
    Try factory reset first, reconnect with MotoBlur then check your mem. If it looks more like my phone, start reloading apps & monitor the mem usage. You might find the problem that way.

    If that doesn't work, remove the SIM, use Recovery to reset to defaults then reload the .sbf with RSD Lite. That should make your phone squeaky-clean fresh. Replace your sim (or an expired or unused spare if you have one) and log in to Blur with a new bogus account, like "boo@hoo.foo" (be creative), to eliminate MB as a source of pain. If you still have a memory usage problem after that, then it must be something with the phone itself.
    Hic sunt dracones...

  7. #7
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Try factory reset first, reconnect with MotoBlur then check your mem. If it looks more like my phone, start reloading apps & monitor the mem usage. You might find the problem that way.

    If that doesn't work, remove the SIM, use Recovery to reset to defaults then reload the .sbf with RSD Lite. That should make your phone squeaky-clean fresh. Replace your sim (or an expired or unused spare if you have one) and log in to Blur with a new bogus account, like "boo@hoo.foo" (be creative), to eliminate MB as a source of pain. If you still have a memory usage problem after that, then it must be something with the phone itself.
    hi if i do the recovery thing can i recover the older none gingerbread OP on the phone then root it?

  8. #8
    Saurus's Avatar
    offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    daLLas
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 377 Times in 319 Posts
    Downloads
    77
    Uploads
    2
    No, you can only use the 2.3.6 .sbf. Older ones will brick it (until you flash 2.3.6 again).
    Hic sunt dracones...

  9. #9
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    There is a question has always puzzled me.
    I am using Samsung S5830, only has limited 160M memory. And it doesn't allow me to unload built-in software, such as Youtube, Gtalk and Google play. Anyone has a package to fix it except rooting it?

  10. #10
    Saurus's Avatar
    offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    daLLas
    Posts
    1,680
    Thanks
    266
    Thanked 377 Times in 319 Posts
    Downloads
    77
    Uploads
    2
    The only way to remove the preinstalled apps on any android phone is to root it. Galaxy Ace should be easy - SuperOneClick probably supports it. Just be careful what you remove. Best to learn what is required to revive a totally dead phone before you start anything else.
    Hic sunt dracones...

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saurus For This Useful Post:

    nimdaplus (12-28-2012)

  12. #11
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    sms, mms, pictures, videos, all that stuff takes up space. You can limit your texts per thread, default is 200 and that would hog a ton of memory especially if you text a lot of people all the time.

    And if you use a custom ROM and have your home locked in memory...that can also take up a little bit of space.




    --------------------
    checking for plagiarism online
    Last edited by Garret2; 02-28-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •