Thread: FM transmitter

offline Skilfull Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

FM transmitter

Has anyone tried to use an fm transmitter w/ the gphone? becuase i would love to use it as a portable mp3 for my car

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000UHY6XU/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A110MBRL8XO94E&v =glance"]Amazon.com: i.Trek 2-in-1 mini USB and 3.5mm Stereo Audio Multi-Adapter for ATT 8525/8925, T-Mobile Dash, HTC TyTN/TyTN II (YS-AUC): Electronics[/ame]

I'll try to help now and then but hardly ever answer through PM. Keep It simple and easy to understand for other people to understand. Hit the Thanks button if I helped.

offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ill let you know man. I ordered mine today.. Im probably not going to get it untill friday monday. Ill post my comments then.

offline So I Hear You Can Mod
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i bought one from wal-mart for my ipod. worked okay but the signal would fade sometimes. sure they would work fine with the gphone as well.

zen
    offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Griffin iTrip rigged in my Xterra so that it can also work as a hands-free device:

- connect stupid 3-in-1 dongle to phone
    - connect 12V power source to stupid dongle
    - connect HTC headphone/mic cable to stupid dongle
    - connect iTrip's plug to headphone/mic's 3.5mm audio out jack
    - connect iTrip's power plug into another 12V outlet
    - set the iTrip to the desired preset FM Channels

Now I can use the G1 as my MP3 player (which I like much better than my Sansa View because I can create playlists on the phone itself rather than having to create them on a PC then download them to the player.)

If a call comes in I can hit the pause button on the headphone/mic cable to pause the music and hear the call over my stereo.

While this works fine, the convoluted jumble of cables and dongles and other doo dahs don't make for a very elegant interior. So I've ordered this mount/charger/transmitter. Hopefully it'll work just as well if not better than my current kludge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/T-Mobile-Google-...742.m153.l1262

offline Skilfull Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Thanx I Will look up this product

I'll try to help now and then but hardly ever answer through PM. Keep It simple and easy to understand for other people to understand. Hit the Thanks button if I helped.

zen
    offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I received the holder over the weekend and tried it out. As a holder it works great. The cradle holds the phone perfectly, and you can swivel the phone to horizontal mode easily. The gooseneck is strong, but the windshield suction cup could be a little bigger and more sticky. But after a few tries I finally got it to stick pretty well.

The FM transmitter is not as good as my Griffin iTrip. In fact, it can't even go down below 88.1. In my area, 87.9 is the channel with the least interference, and that's what my iTrip is set to.

As a charger this thing sucks. It has no built-in microphone, so you can't use it as a hands-free device unit. What's worse, if the phone is docked and charging and a call comes in, you can't select the Speaker setting from the phone's Menu (the option is greyed out and disabled for some reason). Thus to answer or make a call, you have no choice but to undock the phone from the cradle. Not good.

I ended up taking the whole thing apart and ripped out the FM transmitter and wirings inside. Then I put my stupid 3-in-1 dongle inside the housing and hot-glued it to the case, connected my iTrip to the dongle and screwed the back cover in. Now I have a charger/holder/FM transmitter for my Gphone which I can also use hands-free while driving. Worked out fine.

Still, a much better solution would be for this holder/charger to have both a microphone and audio out port built-in (combination of the dongle and microphone cable). That would solve most everybody's needs in one fell swoop.

zen
    offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I spoke a bit too hastily and harshly about this charger.

Any time you plug anything into the charger port, be it this device or the stupid 3-in-1 dongle, you no longer can use the Speakerphone function. So that's a design issue with the G1 and not this charger unit.

Since no HTC phones have an audio jack, I'm surprised that HTC has not yet made a car charger for their phones that also has built-in circuitry for audio out at the same time. I'm also puzzled as to why Google chose HTC for their first Android phone.

I think all HTC phones have pretty lame design, to be honest.

zen
    offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the hands-free device I was thinking of, except it isn't built inside a G1 holder/cradle. But that shouldn't be a problem. You just have to get your own mount. At least with something like this you can talk while driving without having to unplug anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For your reference only:http://www.lowerpricebuy.com
    Last edited by nimdaplus; 01-11-2013 at 03:40 AM.