Thread: G2 on AT&T?

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

G2 on AT&T?

I'm new here from Modmyi. I used to have an iPhone. When it broke I just got a P.O.S. RAZR. Now I want to get an android.

I would like to get an android phone on AT&T. I'm interested HTC Aria, but don't want to get a data plan (not even the $15/month one). If I just bought a Aria one from craigslist and popped my SIM card in from my data-less RAZR, AT&T would automatically add a data plan. So I was wondering if I could get a T-Mobile phone and use it without AT&T automatically tacking on data. Would AT&T recognize that it is a smartphone or do they not have T-Mobile phone IMEI numbers. I am pretty interested in the G2/Desire Z. Do you know if this will work, or if it will only work on some phones? I have heard people say that this works with the G1 but I'm not very interested in the G1.

offline Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ATT cant make you take the data plane if you dont buy the phone thru them...
    anyway, if you want to use a T-Mo Android you gotta unlock it using the IMEI #. you can check out online services to see if they offer unlocking for the model phone you plan to get.

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't care about G2 not capable of make AT&T 3G data connection even if you want it to, you should be fine using a SIM-unlocked G2 on AT&T without a data plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads