offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Old Cingular Razr V3 GSM -- how to unlock in 2011?

So, there is a lot of information online for unlocking these old GSM phones (need to a phone abroad and happened to have one of these). What's the best way to do that in the grand ol' year of 2011?

I cannot contact any customer service people to receive a code. I did not have service on this phone.

I would prefer it to be free. Actually, it must be free.

Thanks

offline The Helper
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Banana FTW.
    [MENTION=2672721]Pzyduck[/MENTION] [MENTION=1122281]Hairo[/MENTION] can help you.

Sent from my MB501 using Tapatalk

"Remember that life loves you, but most of the time, you don't love life"

offline Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,551 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Look for the P2k Easy Tools , I cannot post it here cause it's illegal , once you have the tool , connect your phone and look for the Unlock tab , connect your phone and it will detect it for you , then select "unlock sp" and press start .

Note , it will work only if you put the 07.D0 bootloader on it .
    Anything you need please contact me thru Private Message.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also note that russoeternal is referring to the original V3, with firmware R374. Key in *#9999# (star-hash-9999-hash) to display the firmware, flex and hardware versions. The phone's bootloader version can be obtained only by holding * and # keys simultaneously while powering on (red key). Only when you know all that information can you exactly determine the proper course of action.

Edit:
    Just noticed it's a Cingular V3, so russo's suggestion is likely the best way to go. Just don't confuse it with their V3R (very different animal).
    Last edited by Saurus; 07-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Hic sunt dracones...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by russoeternal View Post
    Look for the P2k Easy Tools , I cannot post it here cause it's illegal , once you have the tool , connect your phone and look for the Unlock tab , connect your phone and it will detect it for you , then select "unlock sp" and press start .

Note , it will work only if you put the 07.D0 bootloader on it .
    I've tried using P2k Easy Tools, but whenever I receive the pop-up that says the phone should finish powering up, etc, after I have it in the bootloader mode (I have the 07.D0), it gives me an error and says the phone can't be found.

I'm doing this through a VM with Windows XP. Are specific drivers needed?

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry acronyms confuse me - VM: Video Monitor? Virtual Machine? Voice Mail? Voice of Music tube amp circa 1950?

XP was usually done on 32-bit PCs. Check My Computer > Properties; use appropriate driver. Both are in downloads.

Could be bad data cable. Try a different port - back of pc, not front. Could be bad data port on the phone itself. I have one like that - charges ok & works famously otherwise, just can't communicate via usb.

Edit:
    Actually, for an old Cingy like that, just pay the 2 bucks on ebay for the unlock code.

Edit2:
    I'm not sure Cingular ever sent out a V3 with 7.D0 BL - earliest I have is 8.26. Are you sure your phone isn't already unlocked? Check it with a 'foreign' sim (T-Mobile, e.g.). If it doesn't ask for subsidy code and you get signal bars (with a registered sim), it's unlocked.

And that's another thing: a phone can function perfectly except for receiving a signal - which means with some modification you could use it as a doorstop. You should test it before you go; not something you would want to discover later.
    Last edited by Saurus; 08-09-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Hic sunt dracones...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Sorry acronyms confuse me - VM: Video Monitor? Virtual Machine? Voice Mail? Voice of Music tube amp circa 1950?

XP was usually done on 32-bit PCs. Check My Computer > Properties; use appropriate driver. Both are in downloads.

Could be bad data cable. Try a different port - back of pc, not front. Could be bad data port on the phone itself. I have one like that - charges ok & works famously otherwise, just can't communicate via usb.

Edit:
    Actually, for an old Cingy like that, just pay the 2 bucks on ebay for the unlock code.

Edit2:
    I'm not sure Cingular ever sent out a V3 with 7.D0 BL - earliest I have is 8.26. Are you sure your phone isn't already unlocked? Check it with a 'foreign' sim (T-Mobile, e.g.). If it doesn't ask for subsidy code and you get signal bars (with a registered sim), it's unlocked.

And that's another thing: a phone can function perfectly except for receiving a signal - which means with some modification you could use it as a doorstop. You should test it before you go; not something you would want to discover later.
    Virtual Machine.

I have a SIM card from Telestial in there and it looks like it works fine, but it's only finding the Cingular network. Is that unlocked then?

I'll be using it abroad, so I'll probably change SIM card again.

Thanks

offline Janitor
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,469 Times in 3,399 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Set network search to automatic in personal settings.

Please do not kiss, or lick, the Monitor.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since you don't get the "Enter Subsidy Password" message with a 'foreign' sim, it is unlocked. The important thing is that you know it receives a signal; the fact that you find a network indicates that it does. Use a registered sim (associated with an active account) and call 611. If you can call out, navigate the menu with voice & hear through the speaker, you know your phone works, for voice calls at least.

If Telestial provides service at your location it probably indicates they are leasing bandwidth from someone else, or you are roaming outside their service area. See what happens if you call 611 with that sim?

EDIT
    Well, 611 will get you nowhere. Found this, you might use the sim you have - http://www.telestial.com/userguides/MSIM-PPL2.pdf
    Last edited by Saurus; 08-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Hic sunt dracones...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, There are many ways to unlock a phone from the network we belong to. One of those is here, we can contact service providers like mobileunlocksolutions.com and if we need procedure (instructions) we can go to sites like mobileunlockguide.com where we can be consoled by all the information related to unlocking a phone.