Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1 in Ecuador??

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

G1 in Ecuador??

Hey I had bought a G1 for my cousin that lives in Quito, Ecuador. I also purchased an unlock code from htc....the unlock code seems to work fine, and she had bought a SIM card with a data plan already activated, but. Once she turns the phone on, it won't allow her to sign into her google account. We have changed the APN, and have tried different gmails, including mine.....can someone please help. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I prefer Google

I had the same problem for 3 days trying to config my G1 but I finally found out the correct settings. First of all I must say I spended 2 days trying to config my Movistar Sim with no luck. For some reason G1 doesnt detect Movistar's Edge. I even took it to a Movistar technician to fill in the correct info and nothing happened. Im thinking theres some kind of bug in the G1 with the MNC being '00' for movistar. I wasted 6$ in a 15 MB data plan.
    On day 3 I decided to try with my Porta chip. First of all you will need another compatible phone so you can get a data plan thru *123#. I got a 1 day illimited (100mb really) which is 3$. You will also need and Unlocked G1 obviously. There are some services over the intenet to unlock it.
    Heres how to setup you Porta sim:

1. Put your Porta sim and turn the device on. Go thru the setup as asked until you arrive the screen where it asks for your Google Account details.

2. Press Menu button and tap APNs. Press the Menu button again and tap Add New (I dont know it it helps but I erased all T-Mobile's APNs too).

3. Fill in the following information, dont be creative just put exactly this:

Name: Porta GPRS
    APN: internet.porta.com.ec
    Proxy: <not set> (leave blank)
    Port: <not set> (leave blank)
    Username: <not set> (leave blank)
    Password: <not set> (leave blank)
    Server: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMSC: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMS proxy: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMS port: <not set> (leave blank)
    MCC: 740
    MNC: 010
    APN type: <not set> (leave blank)

The MCC and MNC are unique country/operator codes and directly from the sim so they should be already set. I spended an hour with this as all over the internet it shows MNC to be '01' for Porta. For some odd reason 01 wont work but 010 does.

You can research and set your MMS parameters later, they are not importat for the initial config.

4. press Menu and tap Save. Go back to the previous screen where it asks for your account details. Fill in the info and tap Next. Continue with the wizard as it prompts.

UPDATE: Ok i found out the parameters Proxy: 216.250.208.94 and Port: 9201 where working for everything else but not on the Browser.. Looks like those are for WAP so i just deleted them and it worked.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

G1 in Ecuador!

Buenas, tu estas en ecuador verdad?... yo tambien y tengo el g1 funcionando.. explicate.. estas en q version y estas en la pantalla de activacion por gmail verdad? llamame 092332918 PORTA

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    El telefono me vino con el RC 33.. durante la activacion tuve problemas para descubrir como asociarlo mi cuenta gmail pues necesitaba configurar mi chip movistar o porta. Una vez lograda la configuracion y el emparejamiento con la cuenta de google este inicia y no da mas problemas. De ahi en adelante ya reconoce automaticamente todos los settings ya sea de Porta o Movistar.

Actualize a la version 1.5 (llamada Cupcake) para luego descubrir que no estaba rooteada (el rooteamiento es como tener privilegios de administrador los cuales algunas pocas aplicaciones necesitan) por lo que instale una version abierta del 'cupcake' llamada 'jesusfreke' que ya viene rooteada, cuenta con multitouch, teclado en pantalla, gira automaticamte segun la orientacion en la que lo sostenga, particiona SDs, soporta audifonos bluetooth estereo, etc etc etc.

En este momento todo funciona perfecto, lo unico que perdi fue el msn messenger que viene por default, por lo que ando buscando alguna buena alternativa en el android market, que pueda enviar archivos si es posible.

Saludos

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

claro, el IM y el Amazon MP3 solo vienen con la version original de t-mobile. lo unico q puedes hacer ahora si quieres tener el IM es un downgrade.
    O puedes buscar alguno en el market como Palringo, Meebo, eBuddy, etc

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhex View Post
    El telefono me vino con el RC 33.. durante la activacion tuve problemas para descubrir como asociarlo mi cuenta gmail pues necesitaba configurar mi chip movistar o porta. Una vez lograda la configuracion y el emparejamiento con la cuenta de google este inicia y no da mas problemas. De ahi en adelante ya reconoce automaticamente todos los settings ya sea de Porta o Movistar.

Actualize a la version 1.5 (llamada Cupcake) para luego descubrir que no estaba rooteada (el rooteamiento es como tener privilegios de administrador los cuales algunas pocas aplicaciones necesitan) por lo que instale una version abierta del 'cupcake' llamada 'jesusfreke' que ya viene rooteada, cuenta con multitouch, teclado en pantalla, gira automaticamte segun la orientacion en la que lo sostenga, particiona SDs, soporta audifonos bluetooth estereo, etc etc etc.....
    Hi Dhex:
    I also have a G1 phone in Ecuador, recently bought in USA, but I have a lot of problems with it. I'm pretty new with it, so I'm doing some research in internet and came across with this page. I hope you can give me some advice..
    First thing, it has cupcake installed, and it seems to be the root of all problems. WiFi can be hardly enabled, I haven't been able to configure EDGE, or 3G on the phone (I have a plan in PORTA). I managed to erase the previous Google account, and now I'm running the wizard to configure the gmail account from my own. But, as I have no internet connection (3G or EDGE) I can't configure my Google account yet. Do you have the configuration parameters to enable 3G connection ??. Do you suggest to make a reset on the phone to erase cupcake ??. If I reset the phone, it would be locked again ??.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mira acabe de leer tu post y si tu actualizas depedende de q version estes actualizando te pude la activacion por gmail. Yo tambien tengo el g2 en ecuador y hoy fui a porta a activar un paquete de datos intellsync q me cuesta $20 por internet 3g ilimitado pero tengo q configurarlo yo porque porta no lo tiene homologado. Para q te ayude a configurar lo de el gmail activation contactame: 092332918
    saludos
    Ricardo

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parametros G1 Porta y Movi

Settings update for Porta & Movi:

But first ill like to reply to Vtech:

Congrats for you G1, its an awesome phone when u set it up right. If youre having problems with it I recomend you to do a system wipe (its like a hard reset, youll loose all your data that its not on you SD card, altho, if your phone is already set up with your Gmail account, your calendar events and your contact list is already safe on your google account). For wiping your system: Turn off your phone. Hold the Home and the Power button (keep holding them all the time) ultil you see a triangle in the middle of the screen. Open your keyboard and hold Alt+L, you will see some text. Now press Alt+W. Ur phone will be wiped. Press Home + Arrow to restart It. YOU WONT LOCK YOUR PHONE EVEN IF YOU INSTALL ANOTHER VERSION OF ANDROID so you are safe, once unlocked, its unlocked forever.

If you indeed have cupcake, on the initial config screen ull have the chanse to skip the gmail configuration to do it later. On the pre-cupcake my phone was i didnt had this option so I had to config my gmail account from the very start in order to use it. So then, on cupcake you can just skip this and then when youre on home screen press Menu button, tap Settings, tap Wireless controls, tap Wi-Fi to enable it and then tap Wi-Fi settings to look for available wireless networks. Once your device is connected thru Wi-Fi, start your gmail by using the icon in the main menu, and the wizard for seting up your gmail will start again.
    Now, if youve a pre-cupcake version where you cant skip the initial gmail association, or if youve no Wireless networks arround, youll obviusly need a data plan. To set the parameters:

-If youre on the account setup screen press Menu. Then tap APNs, Tap New APN and set it with the parameters ill put below (I suggest to delet all the T-mobile) stuff there first if any.

-If youre on the main screen (wallpaper, etc) press Menu, tap settings > Wireless controls > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Select Automatically. Then press back arrow and Tap Access Pont Names. I suggest to Delete all the Tmobile Stuff here (if any) and then press Menu and tap New APN. Now, here are the parameters for PORTA and MOVI:

MOVISTAR
    Name: Movistar GPRS
    APN: internet.movistar.com.ec
    Proxy: <Not set> (leave blank)
    Port: <Not set> (leave blank)
    Username: movistar
    Password: movistar
    Server: <Not set> (leave blank)
    MMSC: <Not set> (leave blank)
    MMS: <Not set> (leave blank)
    MNC: 00
    APN type: <Not set> (leave blank)

PORTA
    Name: Porta GPRS
    APN: internet.porta.com.ec
    Proxy: <not set> (leave blank)
    Port: <not set> (leave blank)
    Username: <not set> (leave blank)
    Password: <not set> (leave blank)
    Server: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMSC: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMS proxy: <not set> (leave blank)
    MMS port: <not set> (leave blank)
    MNC: 010
    APN type: <not set> (leave blank)

Thats it, you shoud see a little [E] and two arrows icon on the top of the screen meaning youre currently on EDGE. Go ahead and config now your Gmail Account. If anyone knows the settings for Porta´3G please post them in this forum, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

porta 3g??

so you can configure the g1 to use portas 3g??
    Because in the US you cant use att's 3g with the g1 or tmobiles 3g with the iphone....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I prefer Google

Well I can try to get it to a local Porta service center and try them to make it 3g. For what ive readed, the operator needs to associate your IMEI in their system to work with 3g, I could be wrong tho.

Anyways for now, im sticking with Movistar as they charge you 20$ bugs for 1 month unlimited internet data usage (up to 5gb really) while porta wants to change me 30$ for 15 days (up to 2 gb really) in pre-paid plans.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [quote=Dhex;100581]Settings update for Porta & Movi:

But first ill like to reply to Vtech:

Congrats for you G1, its an awesome phone when u set it up right. If youre having problems with it I recomend you to do a system wipe (its like a hard reset, youll loose all your data that its not on you SD card, altho, if your phone is already set up with your Gmail account, your calendar events and your contact list is already safe on your google account). For wiping your system: Turn off your phone. Hold the Home and the Power button (keep holding them all the time) ultil you see a triangle in the middle of the screen. Open your keyboard and hold Alt+L, you will see some text. Now press Alt+W. Ur phone will be wiped. Press Home + Arrow to restart It. YOU WONT LOCK YOUR PHONE EVEN IF YOU INSTALL ANOTHER VERSION OF ANDROID so you are safe, once unlocked, its unlocked forever.
    -----

Hi again Dhex and Ricardo.. Today, June 19th, I've just read your answers, I think I haven't chosen to receive email notifications for this thread. Here is my update:
    * Finally, yesterday I was able to configure PORTA GPRS so I have EDGE enabled on my phone; tought, as my plan doesn't include data (for now), I'm trying not to use it. The weird thing is: browser runs quite well, but Android Market doesn't.
    * I have been reading about how to update to Jesusfreke 1.5, but they all say that I've to have rooted my phone first, but in the instructions to root the phone, they say that it won't work for phones outside the USA, so I'm afraid of what could happen.
    * Meanwhile, I still have problems to enable wifi functions (it only enables wifi once a week.. and for an hour or less), I can't import contacts from the SIM (a message appears stating that some android process had crashed), and the phone freezes to death every couple of days. I really need to update to JF 1.5 !!
    * As I said before, I managed to erase the old Gmail account and have my own now, with Calendar synchronized and so on (I could do it in that glorious moment when wifi got enabled), so I don't have problems with that.

Questions:
    1. Is there any way to update to JF 1.5 without having the phone rooted ?
    2. How can I know which version does my phone have?? RC33, RC29 ?? The most likely property in my phone says "Build number: CRB43"
    3. If I do a system wipe like you suggest, the wifi functions won't be lost?? I've read that wifi features comes with Cupcake, isn't it ?

I've a contact in PORTA doing some research regarding 3G capabilities. As soon as I get any info, I will come to you again.

Thanks for all the help..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello,good to know that you finally was able to associate your G1 with Porta.

As for your questions:

1. As long as I know.. NO, there isnt any. The custom builds need to acces system data.

2. Yes it tells it there where youre looking ( menu > settings > About phone> build number ) .. Look where it says 'Model Number'.. if its T-Mobile, then it would say RC somewhere on 'Build Number'. RC stands for Release candidate, its like a build chosen by T-Mobile to be released to their customers. Im guessing that if your phone says CRB then its either a developer phone, or it was a T-Mobile and someone already installed the developer radio.

3. Ok you seem a little confused here.. first of all, most current firmwares (including jesusfreke's) are already developed over Cupcake (Cupcake is a codename for Android v1.5).. so if you install Jesusfreke firmware rom, it will still be cupcake, plus additional features, customizatios and jailbreaks. Also, wifi has always worked.. if you downgrade to a build pre-cupcake youll lose stuff like A2DP tho.

Now the thing you should try to find out is if your phone is already rooted or not.. cause it seems it is as its not a RC. Do you have some app at the menu called 'Terminal'?? if not try downloading one tru the market, open it and type: su
    thats a linux command asking for 'superuser' priviledges.. it probably will take some seconds untill a black screen shows askin if you want to allow permission. Choose allow, and then back on the terminal you should see that the prompt turned into a sharp (#).

If you find out that its not rooted, I recommend you to go tru this guide:

http://www.androidandme.com/2009/05/...stall-cupcake/
    (your phone was MADE in usa, right? thet proccess doesnt care if youre on Ecuador now.)

Do it step by step. Read it all first, have your phone fully charged and pluged and do it with spare time.

But if you find out your phone is already rooted, all you have to do is download jesusfreke's build, and then rename it to update.zip (dont unzip it) and place it on your sd. Then reboot your phone holding Home+power and then on the triangle press Alt+L, then Alt+W (to wipe) and then ALT+S to install the build.

Finally a comment.. Jesusfreke is great.. but if you find yourself like wanting even more, I recomend Cyanogen. Cyanogen is jesusfreke after it got steroids (FAST!) and loaded with awesomeness.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi everybody; finally I put aside my fears and did a system wipe. Everything is ok: I still have the same android version (firmware 1.5) and Build number CRB43, so i think that it's a factory reset what could "downgrade" the phone. Now, I'm able to add contacts without problem, but still have the wifi activation issues. I'm trying to find out if it is rooted or not, and then, I'll go for JF or Cyanogen, as Dhex suggested.

Unfortunately, I found out also that T-Mobile G1 is not compatible with Porta's 3G network, as it uses another 3G frequency.

I'll be posting any news.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Strange, wi-fi should work without problems now. Have you tried in more than one accesspoint?

Btw im updating to the latest cyanogen rom that just came out today. It Resolves some issues when installing apps on sd and improves the camera with an htc version.
    Ill post a review after i try it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi everyone

hi everyone, it's good to know that there are people here in ecuador with the G1... I think that It will be a good idea to create a group of developers... well, I think that there is a small group with 3 people on facebook... what do u think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast