Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

No such file or directory?

Hello,
    I am getting an error while rooting. I have received the hash symbol in connectbot, but when I try inputting the /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh command it prints: /sdcard/su: No such file or directory.
    Any insight on this?
    Thanks!

offline Of Mice and Modders
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteic393 View Post
    Hello,
    I am getting an error while rooting. I have received the hash symbol in connectbot, but when I try inputting the /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh command it prints: /sdcard/su: No such file or directory.
    Any insight on this?
    Thanks!
    You skipped the step where you copy su to the SD card.
    Code:
    adb push c:Moto_MSM_Rootsu /sdcard/su
    This copies the file 'su' to the sd card from your computer

Code:
    adb
    - The program that interacts with your phone.

Code:
    push
    - The command to copy.

Code:
    c:...su
    - The file being copied.

Code:
    /stcard/su
    - The destination file.
    Last edited by foxmajik; 10-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    I hate Motorola so @#$!% much.

offline Itty Bitty Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am almost certain that I did not skip it as I have already tried repeating that step. Strange thing is that superuser is already installed. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "No such file or directory" indicates the file you are trying to copy doesn't exist in the target file you specified.

First try remounting.

Then, check the directory listing for the sd card and see if the file is there:

Code:
    adb remount
    - Remounts the device.
    Code:
    adb shell
    - Puts you into an interactive shell on your phone.
    Code:
    ls /sdcard
    - Shows the contents of the sd card.
    I hate Motorola so @#$!% much.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

A little lost?

First time rooting, and already have problems...
    Everything looks fine until I type the first adb shell
    After that I get a dollar sign before every line typed

Nevertheless, I finish the lines and then open up terminal emulator. Says the files are not found....
    What am I doing wrong? Please help.
    I don't want my first android experience to be this way...

offline So I Hear You Can Mod
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteic393 View Post
    I am almost certain that I did not skip it as I have already tried repeating that step. Strange thing is that superuser is already installed. Any ideas?
    I would suspect you have done a newb mistake (nearly everyone does it!), which is to have the sdcard still mounted to the PC. So the phone doesn't have access to the sdcard (the directory exists, but it won't be mounted to the actual microSD card while the PC is mounted to it in mass storage mode), and so throws up that error. You have to unmount by selecting the USB icon in the notifications bar, and change to power/charging only.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by foxmajik View Post
    "No such file or directory" indicates the file you are trying to copy doesn't exist in the target file you specified.
    First try remounting.
    Code:
    adb remount
    - Remounts the device.
    This only works for rooted adb, i.e. ro.secure=0 in the boot image, something not altered when rooting doing rageagainstthecage.

The only way to get root privs from adb when ro.secure=1 is to type "su" at adb shell (which can only be done once su is installed hehe). I guess if adb shell has the hash prompt (#) when launched, this effectively is what ro.secure=0 does, and I think what rageagainstthecage exploits temporarily, so adb remount may indeed work to remount the system as writeable.... so I contradicted myself hehe.

So to undo my contradiction:
    if adb shell gives a $ prompt, adb remount won't work (but adb shell, su mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system will allow the remount, once su is installed).
    if adb shell gives a # prompt, adb remount will do the trick.
    Regards
    Last edited by tonymy01; 10-16-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonymy01 For This Useful Post:

wc1985 (02-12-2011)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    I would suspect you have done a newb mistake (nearly everyone does it!), which is to have the sdcard still mounted to the PC. So the phone doesn't have access to the sdcard (the directory exists, but it won't be mounted to the actual microSD card while the PC is mounted to it in mass storage mode), and so throws up that error. You have to unmount by selecting the USB icon in the notifications bar, and change to power/charging only.
    Regards

This only works for rooted adb, i.e. ro.secure=0 in the boot image, something not altered when rooting doing rageagainstthecage.

The only way to get root privs from adb when ro.secure=1 is to type "su" at adb shell (which can only be done once su is installed hehe). I guess if adb shell has the hash prompt (#) when launched, this effectively is what ro.secure=0 does, and I think what rageagainstthecage exploits temporarily, so adb remount may indeed work to remount the system as writeable.... so I contradicted myself hehe.

So to undo my contradiction:
    if adb shell gives a $ prompt, adb remount won't work (but adb shell, su mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system will allow the remount, once su is installed).
    if adb shell gives a # prompt, adb remount will do the trick.
    Regards
    sorry for being a noob, but you have to understand, this is my first time rooting....
    It was quite hard for me to follow what you said. This SU thing is mentioned a lot. Is that a specific program I have to install to my pc? It wasn't in the original post... adb remount, su mount, etc. you lost me through all of that. Can you please give me simple steps on what I would have to do? Thanks.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that info was for the other poster, but this dumb forum software combines two consecutive posts, despite only one of them being to resolve your prob. You just need to ensure you have the sdcard unmounted from your pc by doing the first bit of my post, then the phone will be able to see it and read it.
    Last edited by tonymy01; 10-17-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
    that info was for the other poster, but this dumb forum software combines two consecutive posts, despite only one of them being to resolve your prob. You just need to ensure you have the sdcard unmounted from your pc by doing the first bit of my post, then the phone will be able to see it and read it.
    ah, i see....
    But my sd card is unmounted from my pc straight from the beginning. the guide tells me to start off in PC charge mode only, with usb debugging enabled. i never change it to usb mass storage at any time. am i supposed to? is that what you're talking about? the guide should really include that, if that's the case.
    when and where do i type su?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I found an automotated way of running this process, works very well for my Samsung Galaxy S:
    [APP]SuperOneClick v1.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers
    Basically, it just wraps the rageagainstthecage, copy of su, busybox etc into a nice GUI, so all you do is run the app, and sit back and watch it as it does the adb restart, rageagainstthecage exploit, and tries again automatically if it doesn't happen the first time. I think this is certainly newb safe, although perhaps someone with a bit of nouse and a cliq/dext should give this a shot at first to give the all clear (since mine is rooted already, and I am not going to do an afternoon of flashing a piece of junk back to stock to test), but I can't see why this won't work, and should be harmless anyway.
    Regards

12. 2 Users Say Thank You to tonymy01 For This Useful Post

gideaogbf (06-27-2011), yeasu1887 (06-14-2011)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that sounds like a great idea, but i just had a couple concerns...
    My phone is unlocked, so will i lose my unlock under any circumstances?
    will i still have 3g?
    If something does go wrong, is there a way to recover my phone no matter what? the last thing i need is to turn my brand new phone into a paper weight lol
    Last edited by gtmaster303; 10-18-2010 at 08:46 PM.

offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He,
    Since I have root and flash my phone with Adlxmod 2.0.2 ROM, I can no longer able to read the contents of my SD card from my Windows PC.
    When I connect my phone to the USB port, I mount the disk read / write, even if I enabled debugging USB or not, I cannot read the contents of the USB disk that appears in Explorer, it is hopelessly empty.
    I thought that the Motorola Driver makes me misery, but even after uninstalling it, I still have the same problem.
    Does anyone have any idea what is happening and how to fix it?
    Thank you for your reply
    Last edited by chakti; 10-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you happen to setup A2SD? If so, the formatting of the SD of course wipes the card.
    Regards

offline Maybe Modder
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    He, and thanx for answer,
    Yes, I set up A2SD and when I got a critical message and not working I uninstall it.
    You think is 't the cause.
    Note that I can transfert in/out files via wifi and all my apps working
    Best regards

He,
    by partitionning the card, it format it and then the usb connection is again avalable
    Kindly
    Last edited by chakti; 10-21-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Run that super one click I mentioned previously..requires no complex steps, just install moto drivers, run this app and phone will be rooted..