offline Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Root Option for Motorola Charm

I just tried this (wife got a Charm) and it worked. So for those of you looking for a root option for your Charms here is the skinny:

1. It does not unlock the bootloader
    2. Works on the Charm firmware version 2.1.1
    3. Can unroot your device as well as root it (one click)

The details can be found here, as well as the downloadable .apk file universalandroot

This is a beta, so the usual risks are involved however I have rooted my wifes Charm with this and it works beautifully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bupahs For This Useful Post:

Pzyduck (11-11-2010)

offline So I Hear You Can Mod
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i tryed the universal root and it would not work.i have updated to the soak update 03.90.7 is it harder to root than the out of the box version?i tryed that,superone click,and finaly after running a root script for my cliq 2 it finaly got root.is there anyone even left playing with the charm?
    cliq 2
    gingerbread 2.3.4
    rooted with custom recovery.

Motorola cliq 1
    killed by mother in law
    was very modded with cm7

motorola charm
    i am going to learn how to mod on this if it
    kills me and the phone.

offline Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by powerram50 View Post
    is there anyone even left playing with the charm?
    Well, I hope so, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. I just bought one so (hopefully) my wife can use wifi calling when she's abroad. TMO bills those calls as if they originate in US, so essentially free. The installed f/w allows turning off roaming, but I'm not sure how trustworthy it is; wouldn't want to be surprised at the size of the next bill. Since we don't have/need/want a data plan it would be good to have a sure-fire data blocker. There are several APN_on/off apps in the market, but all seem to have mixed reviews. Web2go would probably need2go, unless it has some useful function other than trying to sell you stuff.

I also don't like the idea of Motoblur insisting on grabbing your phone number and email address before relinquishing control of the phone to its rightful owner. Once in their database, it's there forever, completely beyond your control. I would consider it a good service, but one must realize that they (or Google) are not providing it as a charitable organization. Only way to prevent it is sign up using a new blank sim and bogus email info, then root & remove blur before using your old sim or activating new service.

Now I just have to figure out how to remove all those unwanted 'features' without contributing to the mason's trade.
    Hic sunt dracones...